Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Had My Hardware Taken Out

Day 1: May 24, 2011 - 6:16pm         

Ok I've had a short nap and the room stopped spinning. I went in at 8am today to have my hardware taken out. It seemed to go pretty well and I feel ok other then some surgical pain. He must have had a hard time on the left side because it hurts more then the right. In recovery they had a hard time getting my pain under control. Seems when they were taking me off OR table into recovery the IV needle backed out slightly. Just enough for the fluids they were pushing to not go in the vien. It's called IV Infiltration. My left arm and hand are painfully swollen from all of the extra fluid. Anyway diloted (sp?) doesn't work if it's going into tissue instead of veins. The nurse maxed out my dosage before she figured out the problem. She gave me my Lortab, turned off that IV, called IV therapy and the anesthesiologist (sp?). Within 5 minutes I had an iv in the other hand and the doctor approved another round of diloted. I felt much better quickly. Anyway my surgeon came in before my pain was under control and was talking about admitting me for pain control. As jacked up as I was I begged him to go home. After that he agreed if we could get my pain down he would let me go. I didn't get to keep my hardware. I really wanted it, but something about sending it off for analysis.
I've been trying a heating pad and holding my arm above my head some to bring down the swelling in my arm but so far it hasn't helped. Any suggestions let me know. 

Day 2:  May 25, 2011 - 2:13pm

OMG, I overslept. Guess I was sleeping off the anesthesia but now I can't get my pain in control. I'm sitting in my recliner wondering what I should do. I've taken my second dose of painkillers at the maximum dosage. Hope this one brings it down to tolerable. The hospital called, they offered for me to come in to get shots, but getting there would be horrible. On a more positive note the swelling has gone down a lot from the IV Infiltration. I've still got some pain from the original IV but it isn't real bad. If the pain isn't in control by 4 I'll call my doctor and see what he suggests. Kind of suprised he hasn't called me. Last time he called the day after I came home.
Anyone got any suggestions for food. I've not been hungry since I got out of surgery and know I need to eat something. Also have some scratches in my throat, think they used a new guy to intubate. It doesn't bother me they need to learn too. And to answer the question, no the nurse who did my IV wasn't learning, in fact that was all she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment