Monday, September 28, 2009

Hospital Story sortof

I'm not so great, but what do ya expect? No really I'm not so bad considering he did more work than he thought he would. I think being home is helping more than anything. The nurses at St. Mary's kept me sick I think. The day shift nurses thought they knew more than the doctor so they didn't hook me up to my Dilauted drip. They tried to get me to take pills even though I was vomiting everywhere. So from day 1 my pain was out of control. They didn't give me anything for the vomiting I had to ask for it. I will say when the evening shift nurse came on she did her best to get my pain under control. She couldn't go back & hook up my IV but she did give me my pain meds every 3 hours like the doctor wrote. Day shift nurse said I could only have them every 4 hours. Anyway she also went through the meds the doctor ordered and found valium to help with the muscle spasms, day shift nurse didn't mention it. No wonder all of those old people kept me awake all the time, they were in pain. Now that I'm home and can take my meds on time without waiting for "god" I'm getting better. Yes I intend to let the hospital know this is going on and want to know what they plan to do about it, because I'm just the kind of bitch to go to the newspaper about it. Ya know what it's monday I may just call about it today, because seriously I'm relatively young and can deal with pain, older people it would hit harder.




Back to the surgery. It went really well, I can already tell a difference in how I walk. Don't get me wrong the surgery is a nightmare and the pain is killer but I know it will end so I can live with it. The doctor put in 2 infuse cages in-between L4 & L5. He put in 4 screws, 2 rods, and a cross bar that he wasn't going to put in. I still have to ask about that. He said the bones were moving a lot more than he thought they were so he understood better the pain I was having. He said " I knew you were in pain, but I thought you were over exaggerating it a little." So great my surgeon thought I was faking it just a little, at least he did the surgery anyway. How's this for great: He does his own rounds at the hospital. I know a lot of ortho doctors send their PA instead of doing it themselves. I grew 1/2 inch in 5 hours. That is how long it lasted, 5 hours. The incision is like 8-12 inches. Like I said he said it was a little worse than the thought starting out. Unfortunately it went straight through my tattoo. Oh well he said he used that as a guide to line my skin back up. He used glue so no metal problems and he had records from the hysterectomy incision opening back up after the stitches came out. I can't believe I'm 1/2 inch taller, WOW, that's huge. I never even considered that.



Ok now to some other things no one thinks about after surgery. All of my chairs suck. Chris had to take me out last night because he tried without me and the chair wasn't any better for me. Anyway we ended up buying a high back office chair with arm rests.



Jordan and Gibson are being the most awesome kids I could ask for. They help every chance they get.  They sometimes even make the chance to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment