Monday, September 7, 2009

Smoking

I'm really struggling with this.  I've never been able to quit smoking, but I have no choice if I want to have the surgery to try and fix the pain.  It seems a fusion fails 40-50% of the time in smokers.  The doctor said he doesn't care what I do after the bones fuse together but until then I need to be smoke-free.  I haven't smoked in 3 1/2 days and it's wearing on me.  I'm jumpy and ready to snap someone's head off.  I expect this to be harder tomorrow. 

I've been on medical leave for the last week.  I go back to work tomorrow, not the best idea but it's what I have to do to survive.  Anyway I don't know how I'm going to do at work with the not smoking.  I can't take my painkillers, can't smoke, and basically have no way to control my back pain.  The stress is going to be really bad.  I'm not even sure if medical at work will let me come back.  I almost hope they don't let me come back.  I'm going to update daily about the smoking and pain.  Hoping to make it.  I have the drug test for nicotine on the 17th.

No comments:

Post a Comment