Saturday, September 19, 2009

TLIF -- Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion

Transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion (TLIF) is a surgical technique that involves removing a disc from between two vertebrae and fusing the vertebrae together. This is done through a single incision in the back.


It is similar to a posterior lumbar interbody fusion (PLIF). The difference is that in a transforminal lumbar interbody fusion, the disc is removed from the side. In the posterior version, the disc is removed from the back.

My Surgeon isn't sure if he is going from the right or left.  He asked me if he could decide during surgery which approch would be better.  I'm like I want you to do what is best and if that means deciding during surgery that's what you should do.  I don't want to tie his hands.  I had him mark everything on the pre-surgery form so he could do what was best for me during surgery. 
 
He plans on using Bone Morphogenetic Proteins as an additive to my own bone for the bone graft.  He doesn't think he will need to harvest any bone from my hip but I signed that he could if he needed to.  He thinks the bone he takes off my  vertebrae will be enough for the graft.
 
BMP is an expensive additive that aids in the bone growth process.  I don't know if insurance will cover it or not.  It seems to be a controversial thing with insurance covering it.  If not I'll take it out of my 401k and eat the penalties.  The research I've done on it makes it look like a great product.  I'm really nervous about the whole thing now.
 
Anyway, I'll be getting small cages placed between my vertebrae, after they remove what is left of my disc.  The doctor will be putting rods on both sides of my spine and securing them in with pedicule screws.  The surgery will take between 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours.  I might be in ICU the first night, it depends on how my body handles such a long surgery.  If I'm not in ICU I'll be put in a private room, that was remodeled recently.  The room has recliner beds in it for a family member to stay with me.  I still don't know if I'll have anyone to stay with me.  The doctor has put me at ease though.  He said my medication will be a scheduled thing.  I won't ask for it they will just bring it to me.  If I'm in pain before they come I'm to call them and they will have orders to bring in a different kind of medication.  I'm also not allowed to even take ibuprophen for 4-6 months after surgery so they won't be trying to wean me off of the prescription meds.

No comments:

Post a Comment